Wednesday, August 10, 2011
4:59 PM | Posted by Danielle Fouts | | Edit Post
What is a bumbo?
- Enables baby to sit upright once he or she can support the head but not the rest of the body in a sitting position
- Promotes close-contact family interaction by allowing baby to see more than the ceiling
- Contoured seat designed to fit baby's posture
- Can be placed anywhere on an even ground level surface
- Soft, comfortable, non-toxic, portable, lightweight and versatile, requires no straps or fasteners
I purchased a Bumbo hesitantly, with doubts that it would truly support my son as well as it claimed and allow him to sit with me. He grew restless when laying down, so I gave in and gave it a try.
After a week I am so happy I decided to try it! After 7 weeks my son wanted nothing more than to be held sitting or standing so he could look around and see his new world. He was able to hold his head up perfectly and move it around to look where he wanted to look. At 10 weeks we bought the Bumbo and started sitting him in it for five to fifteen minute sessions throughout the day, and he LOVES it. As soon as I put him in the seat he starts to look around at everything and smile when he looks at us. He watches our (small) dogs walk past him and smiles when they walk nearby, and when someone comes into the room he can turn his head and see the face without waiting for them to come look down at him while he is laying. He seems to feel like a big boy and have a little freedom and the "WOW I can look around all by myself!" feeling, and it gives me and my husband a little time of relief while he is entertained and not needing us to hold him upright.
Pros: The Bumbo is soft and cushy, but still has plenty of support. It is lightweight and easy to carry; I can pick it up with my baby in it when I want to move him. It has a good grip on the bottom to stick to linoleum or wood without sliding around and the smooth foam is easy to clean. His head is supported and he cannot flop over to the side or front.
Cons: My son is thirteen pounds and fits well. While he will probably fit for another month or so, a baby born larger may not have enough head support to use this seat before they out grow it. The price ($40) is a little high considering the small amount of time your baby will be able to use it, but this could be said about any baby product.
Conclusion: I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a baby 8 weeks or so. It encourages your baby to sit up safely and build muscle control while feeling like a big boy or girl and being able to look around, and it gives mommy and daddy's arms a break. Just don't take the "break" too far; if your baby is not used to holding his or her head up for more than a few minutes, make sure to get them out of the seat when they start to droop or seem tired of holding the head. I've heard of parents leaving babies in these for an hour or more at a time which is not good on the neck if they are not sitting up on their own yet.
- 2013 (1)
- 2012 (6)
- FREE Jewelry Style Assessment
- Print YOUR Photo on a FREE 8x10 Canvas or $50 towa...
- 2000 Fan Giveaway - CLOSED 09/18/11
- Tweet and get $5 Amazon Instant Video
- My Fav Bloggers
- Mail Freebies 08/26/11
- PROBAR HALO Nutrition Bar Giveaway
- How to help your child be eco-friendly and save mo...
- Laundry: How to Save Money
- Cute CookWear
- Crest Complete Sample
- Redbox Free Rentals
- Win $1,000 Amazon Gift Card
- All Day Giveaways
- PaintShop Pro X3 - 74% off!
- Get free Amazon Beauty Credit up to $15
- Mail Freebies 08/22/11
- Mail Freebies 08/20/11
- Frugal Mama Casting for TLC
- Mail Freebies 08/19/11
- Freebies Coupons and Deals 08/19/11
- Walgreens Huggies Contest
- Mail Freebies 08/18/11
- Mini Coupon Binder Purchase
- Mini Coupon Binder $20
- Mini Coupon Binder
- Mail Freebies 08/13/11
- Win PROBAR Halo bars
- Amazon Baby Products
- Recipe: Carb-Friendly Spaghetti
- Review: Thred Up
- Save up to 90% on Textbooks this Fall
- Review: Bumbo
- Friendrack is REAL!
- Everything Fun in the Sun
- Shop It To Me Review
- Bingo Rules
- Everything Green
- Your kid wants a pet...uh oh?
- Affordable Natural Beauty Care
- Have stay-at-home-mom boredom?
- Mail Freebies 08/04/11
- Win an 8GB Mp3 Player
- New Bloggers - How to Begin
- Giveaway: $25 American Express Gift Card